Tuesday, January 10, 2012

cruisin'






From the ship I'm on this week, internet & cell service is both intermittent and expensive, so I'll likely wait til I return to post more. I am finding it strange, the cruise concept. There is beauty to be found, and pleasure too (see: hot tub on the upper deck at night, beneath the moon) but I feel rather outside the flow of activities. There are indeed copious amounts of food at all times. It's unique to wake up and see the waves outside the window, nothing but sea. Not that we are too far from land, but it feels like we could be. Beautiful sunsets and sunrises. I don't often get to see the fiery sun appear to descend right below the edge of the horizon.
Yesterday we docked in Key West, kayaked in the morning (great fun) and walked around until we had to get back on the boat. Today is an 'at-sea' day, which I began by stumbling around with impaired equilibrium. So, yoga was out. Will probably try to make some watercolors from the photos I took yesterday. Tomorrow we hit Grand Cayman and will snorkel, and then we head to Jamaica.
I suppose most vacations can put you in an alternate universe of reality, but this feels particularly so. Still, we can do as much or as little as we desire. And the warm, soft air on my winter-pale skin feels surreal but good, as if I'm getting away with something.

No comments:

Post a Comment