Friday, July 15, 2011

road maps

While driving yesterday, I pulled over and wrote this..

I like the feeling of the gas pedal beneath my sandaled foot
I like the heat of the sun on my left thigh and forearm
I press my face into my warm arm to smell my own sweat
and taste that salt of being on the road.
I like how, with every second and every turn of the wheels
I'm somewhere different than I was the moment before
Going somewhere.. or just going
Leaving instead of being left behind.
I roar past shiny metal streaks of other trucks and cars
Lights flash, heart leaps, but it's not me this time.
I like how the wind blows through the open windows
and the midsummer flowers growing on the roadside
I like to buy fruit from farm stands or look at old things displayed on tables
I find six state maps from the 1950s at a garage sale
with illustrations of happy travelers excited to be on the open roads of America
stopping at bright gas stations for fill-ups and oil changes.
I like to be gone, or to arrive and be there.
Today I said goodbye to someone getting on a train.
I know someone else waits for me at the end of this drive
Part of me is always happy to see someone
and part of me wants to keep moving along

No comments:

Post a Comment