Wednesday, May 8, 2013

centennial t-shirts

I'm promoting these limited-run t-shirts in conjunction with Beacon's centennial this month. There are lots of events planned in the next couple of weeks to celebrate Beacon's 100th birthday. (Though the rich history goes back way further than that, when the city was two separate towns, Matteawan and Fishkill Landing.) 
The shirt's design is based on a watercolor I did in 2008, from an old photograph that a longtime Beacon local had loaned to me. The faded black-and-white portrayed this group of workmen posed in front of a Texaco truck. There used to be a Texaco research center in nearby Glenham.. and that's all I know about the image. Naturally I liked the truck but I was also drawn to the men's expressions, their stances and their clothes. To me the image also evokes a Beacon that was once home to many different industries, a place you could live, work, and conduct your daily business.  
It is locally printed in brown ink on a 'sustainable edition' American Apparel organic cotton off-white t-shirt. Most sizes. I am selling them as a centennial special for $10, and they are available by emailing me at erica@ericahauser.com (for shipping or local pickup), or at Catalyst Gallery (137 Main St). 



No comments:

Post a Comment