Sunday, January 27, 2013

cab

This is the 11"x14" drawing that was in last night's silent auction. I was hoping it would drive up the price. Har! It was based on a photograph I took a while ago when I got lost driving around somewhere and came upon a junkyard full of old taxicabs and police cars and other vehicles. The lovely person who bought the drawing asked if I knew when it was from. I'm guessing late '40s or early '50s. The rate was 25 cents for the first 1/5 mile.
I was pleased that the additional three pieces I placed in the Big Draw also sold. I ought to do works on paper more often. I sometimes make and put aside drawings and partial collages or unfinished paint-on-paper bits. Then I rediscover them and am surprised by the ideas they generate. This cab drawing is in itself a fully-rendered, graphite-on-paper object that reminds me how satisfying such a practice can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment