Sunday, March 23, 2014

cabernet of wonder, wine not


I applied to an upcoming show at the Dorsky in New Paltz. Should keep it under my hat because I'll likely not get in, but keeping a record of my attempts is incentivizing.
The idea is neat- and unlike previous themes, I felt I had an angle. Worlds of Wonder, "work that creates connections across time, media, and subject. To what extent do science and nature, architecture, design, and history weave in and out of contemporary art making? How do artists bring together disparate elements into a singular work, or a cluster of related images or objects? Focusing on the lab-like environment of the artist studio and the exploration and curiosity that is at the heart of many artistic practices, this exhibition will create its own space for discovery in unexpected places while highlighting new art from the region, paying homage to the cabinets of wonder that were precursors to museum collections."

So I sent off six images and this short statement below based on notes I've already included in some post, but it points to a consistency that is useful to build on. It forces me to consider my words- and then the work- does it hold. And the second question is, IS it relevant to the show, or is it my skewed perspective that made me think so. But when that's all you've got...!

One theme of my work is the idea of nostalgia as the 'gap between what was and what we wished the world to be'. My subject matter makes connections through time with artists and with viewers who may relate to the objects and places I depict. The act of painting them now, from my current vantage point, provides a new context for looking.
I paint from my photographs of ordinary but evocative objects in a world constantly moving forward, such as a phone booth already vanished by the next time I drive past. Some images are based on road maps, capturing both the excitement and melancholy of travel. Signage, automobiles, even colors mark passages of time. We are startled by their incongruity with our contemporary surroundings, and are drawn to these stilled moments for the same reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment